MommaVoz sees all...

...and then rants and raves about it here.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

only love can break a heart

Before the British Invasion - long before Thom Yorke was born - there was Gene Pitney. The quintessential torch singer (also songwriter) with a cry in his voice who could belt out songs like no one else. Just think of the last line of "I'm Gonna be Strong". Some of it may sound a little dated today, but not to me - he did more with heartbreak and lost love than anyone I can think of. And for me he was, and is, always worlds better than Elvis. If you were a girl in junior high in the early 60s, well, Gene Pitney was it. I never did get up to Mohegan Sun with my old friend and fellow traveler Sari to see him perform - we talked about it, planned on doing it now that the kids are all off in college - and today the news came that he died, only age 65, of natural causes in Wales.

I haven't figured out how to do those Shook-type audio links here, or I'd link up a bunch for you. So you'll have to get to itunes yourselves and see what you find. Recommendations? "I Must be Seeing Things" (one of my faves) , "Mecca", "Half Heaven - Half Heartache", "Backstage", "True Love Never Runs Smooth", "Looking thru the Eyes of Love" - and of course "Only Love Can Break a Heart"... I could go on.

Gotta go find my cds - no, I'm going to play the vinyl.


gene

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home