MommaVoz sees all...

...and then rants and raves about it here.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

canadian crazies

Not to brag or anything, but it is a fact that I'm a natural speller. It's half a family trait. I'll spare you the spelling-bee-champion-of-P.S-95 story, but trust me, I never use spell-check. (I'm not a natural typer, however, so most likely any errors you notice here are a result of faulty fast fingers.) But every now and then I look at a word and it looks wrong - case in point, "odiferous" as spelled in my previous post. Not even knowing where the closest dictionary is, I googled it and found two interesting things. One, my spelling is acceptable (found in one dictionary), although there are a lot more hits (found in 27 dictionaries) on an alternate spelling, which I guess kind of puts me out there on my own. But two, and this is the Canadian part... well, read it yourself:

The English version of subsection 17(2) of Schedule II is amended to replace the incorrect spelling of odiferous with the correct spelling Aodoriferous.

"Aodoriferous"?? Smells funny to me. But this link goes beyond mere spelling. Check it out.

(By the way, I consider myself to be one-half Canadian, as my mother was born there, my father was raised there, and the majority of my 25 first cousins say "eh" and "aboot", play hockey, and can flawlessly curse in French - but I still think the country is crazy.)

4 Comments:

Blogger teevoz said...

She was BORN there.

1:18 AM  
Blogger teevoz said...

canada outlawed slavery in 1833

3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo, mommavoz... in the grand tradition of christening blogs with my comments, i would like to grace your site with some felicitationes, if i might.

many congrats on actually being able to not only type a competent post, but to then successfully put it on the internet and intersperse links (!) among your verbal splendor--really, it's almost too much motherly goodness. i HIGHLY doubt that my own mother would be able to do the same...i just got her on text messaging...one thing at a time. perhaps, some time in the not-so-near future, mamabellz will have a lil' place to call her own among this crazy mixed up world of bloggers. but until that day, mommavoz, consider yourself mother to us all.

11:45 AM  
Blogger teevoz said...

Lilsabet! welcome!! and thank you! You are indeed the first, nay the only, non-blood child o' mine to speak up - I am honored. Be sure to let me know if Momsabell sets up shop here. Also, we need to have a mother-daughter-mother-daughter lunch sometime so I can finally meet her!

Meanwhile, I hope you saw my in loco parentis Aruban caution to you on the hot tamale's blog - to think I was worrying about Jamaica...

Great to have you here!

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home